Tuesday, June 3, 2008

On my way!

So I’m guessing you probably don’t want to hear about going through security and the flight, but I have nothing better to do while I sit in the airport… so I figured I may as well write about it.


I am pretty much a security problem. When we went through security at SLC they had to call a supervisor to look at my passport because it had some suspicious spots on it. Yep, it’s a counterfeit passport. Ok, not really, but they thought so. So, once we made it through security there we got on a small plane that took us to LAX.

Going through security in LA my suitcase had to be checked twice. Fortunately though, I made it through just fine. We had a four hour layover (about 45 minutes to an hour was spent getting to our next gate). We watched the first part of Cranford, a BBC special a lady in our ward let us borrow. It was pretty good. We boarded the plane, a Boeing 777. It was quite a contrast to the tiny plane we were on before. There were 9 seats in each row rather than two, and I would have loved to have flown first class. The seats there were amazing! But, coach wasn’t terrible.

We were on the plane for 10 hours so they provided a dinner and breakfast. For dinner we had our choice of salmon or chicken. It was no ice cold fish head served with a turnip and a spork. It was a delicious, hot meal complete with cheesecake for dessert. Probably the best airplane meal I have had. After they served dinner they gave everyone a little packet that included everything you need for a quiet, dark, “comfortable” sleep.

While it was nice to have earplugs and such, I still had a hard time sleeping. But, when I woke up we had a delightful breakfast, so that helped. About an hour after breakfast we landed in Paris. Oh, the flight attendants all spoke mostly French (as we were flying Air France) so they didn’t seem to appreciate our speaking to them in English. Unfortunately I didn’t brush up on anything French for this trip.


In Paris, we had to go through security yet again. And yes, you guessed it, I caused a delay. Everything went through fine, or so I thought. After I got everything off the x-ray belt they wanted to search my suitcase. So I had to open all the pockets on the suitcase so they could examine what was inside. Then they ran a cloth over everything and tested that. Fortunately they didn’t find anything explosive or flammable or the like.

Fortunately we are through all the security checkpoints for today—who knows what the way home will be like. The only thing I have to worry about now is customs… hopefully they let me through… but until then I have about 45 minutes until we start boarding the plane to Rome. Normally I don't like pictures from the airplane window, but it was a really cool view as we came into Paris, so I thought I would take one anyway. Ciao!

No comments: