Saturday, June 14, 2008

Friday the 13th

Our journey home began at 6:45 Friday morning. We grabbed a quick breakfast and then drove to the Munich airport. We checked in and went through security (my dad was the problem this time, they had to search his bag) and then took a two hour flight to Paris.

In Paris we had to take a bus from the plane to the gate where we were supposed to land. Once there we had to take another bus from that terminal to the one where our flight was leaving. Both bus rides were at least 10 minutes, maybe more, and we got a tour of almost the whole Paris airpot. We also had to go through security again and this time my mom was the problem. Not only did they search her bag, but they confinscated her airplane-safe scissors (while my cheap ones made it though fine, and hers have made it for the past 3 years or so). That was just the beginning of our trouble.

Once we arrived at our gate, we were informed that the plane was going to be an hour late. The nice thing is they provided us with drinks while we waited. So, originally the plane was to leave at 12 something, but they said the departure time would be 13:15. Well, after waiting for quite a while, they said that the boarding time (originally scheduled for 12:30) was going to be delayed until 12:45, but that the flight would still leave on time. Around 1:30 we were waiting in line to board the plane, but just standing, not moving or anything of the sort. We finally made it on the plane around 2:00 and it took forever to board.

The flight, although 7 hours long, wasn't too bad. I found a number of things to do and even slept a little bit. We arrived in New York at 3ish. We had actually made up some of the lost time which was kind of nice, but our layover in NY was supposed to be 4 hours, so the delay in the other plane trip made that a little shorter.

Fortunately our plane from NY to SLC arrived and departed on time. The flight left around 6:00 and we arrived in SLC around 11:10. I was looking forward to sleeping on this flight since it was a little bit shorter and because I would have normally been sleeping at this time if we were still in Europe. Unfortunatly there was a screaming baby on the plane which made it very difficult to sleep. I was also in between Brianna and my mom. Brianna let me use her as a pillow for a while, but it still didn't help very much.

Once we arrive in Salt Lake we got our bags, which came out relatively quickly and then took the bus to our car and drove home. It was so nice to sleep in my own bed again, but my schedule was so off I didn't get a lot of sleep.

It is good to be home, but the trip was so much fun! I'd go back in a heartbeat. Thanks to my parents for taking Brianna and I with them. We certainly couldn't have done it without them!

For your information....
We flew: 12,946 miles
We drove: 2,040 miles
We walked: 110 miless

No comments: