Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Curse of a Hard Cast: A Blessing in Disguise

Well, on Tuesday this week I went to the doctor for a follow up on my broken arm. The fracture was hardly visible from the X-ray, but he said it would still take about 4-5 weeks to heal. Last week the PA said there was a chance I wouldn't need a hard cast, that I would be able to just keep the splint. After looking at the X-rays, Dr. Hafen asked how active I was. I wasn't really sure what he meant by that, so then he asked if I wanted to snowboard again this year. I said yes. I guess that means I am active because he said he would cast my arm.

So I now have a beautiful blue cast which is obnoxious, but at least my arm will heal and I don't have to worry too much about it right? So while it is a curse, for reasons which I will assume most of you can figure out, it is also a blessing at times.

You might be wondering how this bulky, non-waterproof thing can be a blessing, so let me explain. Having a cast makes it difficult to type/write, so at work if I don't get as many emails done as I usually do they understand (I still usually get about the same amount, or at least more than most other people... funny how that works...). I have a good excuse if my hair is messy because it is hard to do my hair with a broken arm. I constantly remind Breezy how cool she is (her name is huge on the top of my cast :). People feel bad for me and just about everyone has told me that if I need anything I can call them... this could be greatly used to my advantage...

Probably the best thing for me about the hard cast is I can't take it off. That may seem obvious, but it is a great blessing for me. As many of you know, last year when I sprained my wrist I probably didn't wear the brace or have it wrapped long enough for it to heal completely. Sometimes it still hurts if I do too much with it. So, the advantage of the hard cast is I don't have an option of taking it off. Even if it doesn't hurt (which it doesn't and hasn't since last Wednesday) I can't take the cast off so it still stays put and has plenty of time to heal.

So there you have the benefits of my cast, truly a blessing in disguise.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

You should definitely take advantage of the "If you need anything, call me" offer. You could easily get a date, a ride to campus, and free food all because you broke your arm. Maybe that's something I should consider...

Breezy said...

dude...nat...maybe we could "accidentally" fall down some stairs..brake a bone...DATES every night. no problem.

im really glad you added me in there cass. i like it.

funny line cass..."i guess that makes me active..."